It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: project zx 16v
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:38 pm 

Sounds like you've been busy again , all the work will be worth it in the end when your taking it round a track ! Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:13 pm 

Bit of an update on progress posted from other forum

In the battle of Man Versus Car - Man, 0...... Car, 1

Started work on clutch yesterday. Managed to drop box box and put new clutch in but we ran out of talent trying to get the box back on. We will have another go next weekend hopefully with more of a plan

So today has been like many of the last sundays.... spent cleaning crud from bits off the old car. Degreased box and some other bits - they were minging, absolutely covered in oil and crap. Hopefully getting towards the end of cleaning oil of the thing

Carl's arty clutch shot

The fruits of my labour today

And finally some bits starting to go back onto subframe after a lick of paint. New balljoints fitted but still waiting on the power steering ram to arrive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 pm 

And last weekends efforts :D

In the battle of Man Versus Car - Man, 1...... Car, 2

With the help Carl and Joe we managed to get the box back on
Subframe was put back on but we hit trouble getting the bolt fully through the steering joint and ran out of daylight so a job for saturday.
New powerflex lower mount added, new standard gearbox mount & drivers side mount fitted. Engine doesn't move by hand now and there's a fingers gap between subframe and exhaust so fingers crossed we've stopped engine rocking and exhaust hitting subframe. I spent Sunday getting bits put back around gearbox, power steering and more cleaning.

Jobs for saturday - fit new clutch cable, sort steering joint bolt, refill power steering, refill gearbox, fit intake, wishbones and new droplinks and hope all is good

Cheers
Neil :P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Looks nice :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 am 

Fantastic work , it's all coming together , what's the next job for the old girl ? Mark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 am 

I think the next things on the list will be front wishbones, new rear subframe mounts and new heater matrix. That will leave us ready to make a decision on what suspension to go with to finish off suspension.

After that we will look at new radiator, twin fans (maybe), water pump and timing belt.

And finally will be looking at the brakes once we've decided what to go for.

Spending is going to stop for a bit as we've gone a bit mad of late on bits for it. We will gradually do things over next year or so, plus I need to do some more work on my other car next year after not doing anything on it this year :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 am 

Looks sweet that mate, I had problems with exhaust hitting my subframe so I had to shorten the lower mount fork and give the subframe a tickle wit a lump hammer!
In regard to the twin fans I wouldn't bother if I were you. Mine has been fine even on a 28 deg trackday. The only thing you will need is the oil cooler. Without one your oil temps will go well over 100 deg. Before I got mine I had to come off track every 3 laps or so to let it cool down.

Keep up the good work 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:14 pm 

Congratulations for the car and for the hard work, Neil and Carl. Very happy to see people worried to keep well maintaned these cars!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 pm 

we managed to sort out the steering and other bits. neil also fitted a new clutch cable and touched up some paint on the underside of the car. filled the gearbox up with new oil and will hope to fill the power steering up next week. not much of an update.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:55 pm 

keep posting the pics great stuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:15 pm 

Had a couple of hours free today so had a start at removing dashboard so I can replace heater matrix.
Followed Mr Haynes but the dash still wants to stay in the car so I will have another go at it another day. cheesygrin
Will be good to remove dash as I can remove wiring mods done by previous owners and I can replace dash bulbs as a couple have gone.
Also looking to wire oil pressure/temp gauges in (senders are already in) - unsure of where to place in dash at the moment.

Cheers
Neil biggrin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

You'll probably want to lower the steering column. The dash has a in the middle a pin that is tightly fitted in some plastic with a metal clip which need quite some force to get them separated. So if you are really certain that nothing is holding the dash, give it a good thug in the center.

The first time I removed the dash I fell backwards :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 pm 

Don't envy you pal, good luck !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:35 pm 

bloody hell mate. been a bit busy there. decided against the other zx, going to keep the saxo instead and continue with this car. have you found out which matrix is the one for it??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm 

A little update

Carl pulled the remainder of dash out yesterday, I've spent today tidying up the wiring from previous owners - why do people just cut wires instead of removing properly :roll:

Not sure if the passenger side grommet is the best place to pass wires through bulkhead or if something is hiding behind the relay area.

The matrix doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, new one is ordered so hopefully starting to put bits back next weekend

Cheers
Neil cheesygrin

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next