It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rear Axle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:44 pm 

Hi,
Dont know if anyone can help me with this, I have had problems now for several years with my rear axle. The off side wheel has been occasionly rubbing against the inside of the wheel arch. I have tried a cheap option of buying a second hand axle which has not fixed it. I have had the original axle re-built which seemed to fix it but only for about a year. I got so fed up of trying to fix it that for now my garage has just added some washers behind the wheel to move it away from the chasis a bit. Also, with all the axles it seems the same wheel leans in a bit and occasionly the o/s rear of the car looks a little lower than the rest of the car.

It's certainly a strange one, I also replaced all of the mounts at the same time I fitted the re conditioned axle and have also replaced the shock absorbers which did not fix it.

Has anyone else come accross this problem? How big is the gap between the wheel and the chasis on yours???

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Rear Axle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:08 pm 

Never come across this myself but the gap is small , is yours lowered / bigger wheels

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:49 pm 

Sounds like the arm bearings are shot, the tube on the axle the arm bolts to can oval a bit which means replacement bearings can fail the same way, try the other axle and have new good quality bearings fitted to both sides and refit.

Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:24 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, the car is standard regarding lowered and wheels, although while on the subject how hard is it to lower the car? Seeing as I am going to have the axle off again it would seem a good time to lower it too! (if anyone can advise on how to do the front too that would be great!)

Steve, thanks for the explanation, that could well explain why the re con axle failed so soon after the rebuild.

Can anyone recommend any axle suppliers / rebuilders in the uk as I dont really want to go back to the same place!

Cheers

Stu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:20 pm 

Try these guys, not cheap but you can ask for just ask for the bearings doing and lowering.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3141111.htm

As for the front try ZX, Xsara or 306 front lowering springs.

Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 pm 

quite possible that a heavy object has dented the wheelarch inside the boot to cause it.

who rebuilt your old axle? I'd be taking it back to them as they should last ten years at least if not more, my ZX's is untouched as yet and its a 92 car.

no doubt I'll have to replace the trailing arm shafts when I get round to taking it apart, bt there's no movement or excessive camber yet.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]